i love martha stewart….i do…i know she did some shady business minded things back when, but i support her little homemaker empire going on. i can’t help it! all her decorations, recipes, gardening tips…i just want to do every project. last halloween, my master-baker friend Nikki and i made these cupcakes. her, at the time, 3 year old and i played with marzipan and food coloring to create the tiny pumpkins while Nikki did her baking, whipping, stirring, and perfecting of the actual cupcakes and icing. ( i helped…a little)
these cupcakes were so delicious! and such a fun halloween project. Here is your recipe!
- 1 sugar pumpkin, (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and seeded
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree, or canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 seven ounce packages almond paste
- Gel food color, orange, brown, and green
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with paper liners. Grate pumpkin in a food processor or on the large holes of a box grater (you should have about 2 1/2 cups). Transfer to a medium bowl, and add pumpkin puree and pecans.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves; pulse to combine. With machine running, add oil and eggs; process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Add pumpkin mixture; pulse to combine.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup batter into each cupcake liner. Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Make the marzipan pumpkins: Tint two-thirds almond paste orange, adding food color a dab at a time until desired color is reached. Tint a quarter of remaining paste brown and the rest green. Shape into leaves, stems, and pumpkins (see instructions below).
- Decorate cupcakes with frosting and marzipan pumpkins. Store in airtight containers at room temperature up to 2 days
- Marzipan Pumpkin How-To: Using a small rolling pin, roll out green almond paste about 1/8 thick; use a leaf cutter to cut out leaf shapes. Roll brown into small ropes; cut and shape into stems. Using the palms of your hand, shape orange into three-quarter-inch globes. Use a toothpick to poke holes in tops of pumpkins and to press creases from top to bottom. Attach leaves and stems to tops with a bit of frosting.